|Brand||Kato Uchihamono Knives|
|Product Code||Super Gold 2 powder high-speed steel blade core|
Kato Uchihamono Damascus Gyuto Knife
Brand : Kato Uchihamono Knives
Product Code : Super Gold 2 powder high-speed steel blade core
Availability : 6
Technical characteristics of Kato Uchihamono Damascus Gyuto Knife
Blade length: 210 mm
Overall length: 340 mm
Blade width: 46 mm
Weight: 176 g
Material: Super Gold 2 steel (powder high-speed steel) blade core with stainless steel for surface, stainless steel for brim, black and red plywood handle
Left or right hand: Both left and right hand
How to use Kato Uchihamono Damascus Gyuto Knife?
Kato Uchihamono Damascus Gyuto Knife is a versatile knife for Western cuisine. Originally the word “gyuto” means “beef knife”, Gyuto knives are longer and thinner than Santoku knifes and perform perfect cuts for muscle fibers. But Gyuto knives are also often called “multi-purposed knives” in Japanese language. Kato Uchihamono Damascus Gyuto Knife is convenient for chopping vegetables with a flat profile near the handle, for sawing back and forth for large cuts in meat or pulling cut for softer meat. And the very sharpest tip of the blade is designed to do a precise work, like carving fruits or vegetables.
Where is Kato Uchihamono Damascus Gyuto Knife made?
Kato Uchihamono Knives are fully handmade in Echizen city, pref. Fukui. Echizen (also named Takefu at 1948-2005) has been famous for more than 700 years as a sword-making center. The blades called “Echizen Uchi-Hamono” (Echizen hammer-forged blades) were highly valued amongst Samurai warlords. The history of Kato Knife Manufacturing Inc. (previous name Kanehiro Hamono) started in 1928, when the current grandmaster’s ancestor started learning the art of making blades in Echizen. Four generations of Kato masters, their apprentices and colleagues are using traditional Echizen technologies for making best kitchen knives.
What makes Kato Uchihamono Damascus Gyuto Knife so special?
There are multiple reasons to choose Kato Uchihamono Damascus Gyuto Knife.
- The blade is made with Super Gold 2 powder steel core for abrasion resistance and stainless teel layers for surface for preventing rust.
- A traditional Echizen metal forging technique of forging the blade without heating it up does not destroy the steel original structure, but makes the blade’s sharpness last longer. Even after 3-4 months of everyday use Kato Uchihamono Damascus Gyuto Knife will still cut the copying paper in thin stripes with no problems!
- When after long use you’ll need to resharpen the knife, it can be done easily with any ceramic knife sharpener.
- The Damascus pattern is unique for each blade and cannot be repeated exactly. The traces of the hammer help to prevent the product’s sticking to the surface.
- The knife’s blade is sharpen into a special form called "Hamaguri blade" or "Clam blade". Hamaguri blade returns back from the cut pieces easier than the usual blade, allowing not to damage delicate products.
You can buy Kato Uchihamono Damascus Gyuto Knife directly from Japan in our store.